Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

A Slice of Korea - Insadong

Random little anecdotes from a lovely little peninsula in the East (click the pictures for a larger image).

Foods
The streets of Insadong are laden with old shops and stands with goods from simpler times. Tea pots, scrolls, calligraphy supplies, and traditional foods are just a sampling of the wares to be found here. I really don't know what any of these foods are, but I feel like they'd go great in some all-natural home cooking. Yum.

Colors, Textures
More of Insadong, my favorite part of Seoul. A little touristy? Yes, without a doubt. But there's still a strong sense of culture to be enjoyed there. One thing that was a bit out of place but still beautiful were these lovely pashmina scarves. I wouldn't be caught dead in one, of course, but I enjoyed the beautiful colors and textures.

While wandering down one alley, I stumbled upon the Beautiful Tea Museum (also known as Tea Story). The teahouse itself is modeled in a traditional Korean architectural style, with an open air courtyard in the center where patrons are free to enjoy their tea. The lighting is soft and dreamy, dancing across the natural grain of the unstained wood. I practically stayed here all day, enjoying a steaming cup of yuja-cha and green tea-flavored tteuk.
Tea Story - Beautiful Tea Museum

Around the walls of the teahouse is the "museum" portion of the Beautiful Tea Museum. Tea pots and cups created by expert craftsmen, each once an objet d' art.
Tea Story - Beautiful Tea Museum
Annoyingly, this museum just showed me more things that I'll have to enjoy at some point in life.

There was so much more in Insadong that I was able to enjoy - receiving an after-hours tour of a sword museum (and playing with a good number of them), eating lots and lots of food, and watching calligraphy masters at work. But I don't have pictures to do those things justice, so I'll just have to keep them in my mind's eye for now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Andrew said...

I'm glad to have been able to help :]

Anonymous said...

Well I acquiesce in but I think the brief should secure more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

They are all popular music genres that turn any Zumba class into a party.
The good thing about being a home health aide is that you have
the opportunity to work outside of the agency. You should not be too hungry before jogging,
but it is not advisable to take a jogging session straight after a big meal.
There are also sandwich courses, meaning that you will still
gain work experience in your chosen field, but whilst the majority of your studies will
be at one college, the rest of your time will be spent
at another university. Choose lean over red meat; lean meats like that of chicken
and fish are healthy to eat. Autism and Sensory Disorders: Brain development disorders like autism have
shown positive effects when paired with outdoor rocking chairs.


Feel free to visit my weblog yeast infection no more