Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Wham! Ouch.

Well the hole in my eardrum hasn't healed yet, it turns out. And practicing Kendo last week was a mistake. So I sat out the Mori Hai Tournament today and took pictures instead.

The Mori Hai tournament is in commemoration of the late Torao Mori-sensei, the man who pretty much is the father of Kendo in Southern California. He was also the head sensei at my Kendo dojo. Strangely enough, he was also my naginata-sensei's instructor in the U.S. It's funny because I'm training directly under two of his few remaining students. It's as if his teachings branch out then start to combine with me. That's assuming I'm not too thickheaded to take it in, of course.

But yeah, on to the pictures. I am somewhat proud of these. Oh, and if you're shooting with a pro lens, people instantly get out of your way.

Getting whacked on the head...
[IMG_1638a

Awkward position...
[IMG_1639a

This girl's from my dojo. She got 3rd in her division I think...
[IMG_1665a

In the middle of a match, one of the shinpan passed out. Still not sure what happened. Dehydration? Stroke? Hopefully nothing too serious...
[IMG_1669a

I just like this one. I'm becoming a fan of focusing on something in the background rather than the foreground.
[IMG_1670a

My favorite of the day. The guy on the right is Park-sensei. What a beast.
[IMG_1682a

Well that was fun. But I'm not all that big on action shots. For one, I'm a bit slow and have trouble with the timing. Two, I'm sort of an artsy fartsy guy. I think.

No comments: